Coronavirus information, updates, and guidance for staff, participants, and families
March 26th, 2020
Aptiv cares about our participants’ health and safety during this time of the COVID-19 pandemic. We continue to encourage individuals to be safe and make the best and safest decisions for themselves and their loved ones.
Aptiv continues to provide life-sustaining support for people with developmental disabilities, physical disabilities and frail and elderly. We are open. Although we have limited group activities, we are continuing to provide needed supports for our participants. Our Outcome Specialists are checking in weekly with participants, families, guardians and the care teams of the people we serve.
We want you to know that Aptiv can provide support to individuals whose ability to be mobile or other supports may have been impacted by COVID-19. We want to make sure that care needs are being met and that, with support from funding partners, we can provide safe support that may be crucially needed at this time.
While we provide support, you can be assured that we are taking precautions as recommended by the Wisconsin Department of Health Services. DHS recommends that all healthcare providers, including inpatient, outpatient, and residential care facilities, actively monitor staff for symptoms consistent with COVID-19.
In order to comply with this recommendation and keep everyone safe and healthy, the following procedures have been implemented:
- All staff are required to monitor themselves for signs of infection including fever and respiratory changes such as runny nose, sore throat, coughing, difficulty breathing. If these symptoms exist, staff must call their supervisors to report. ● Additional hand and surface sanitizers have been made available and staff have been trained on infection prevention, hand hygiene, and sanitation practices and are required to follow all protocols.
- At this time, staff who have been exposed to COVID-19 but do not have symptoms of infection will not be excluded from work but must continue to monitor symptoms and report any concerns to their supervisor.
- Check participants for symptoms (runny nose, sore throat, coughing, difficulty breathing). Should symptoms be observed, staff will assist participants to follow up with their primary doctor and follow the direction given.
- Help participants to keep themselves and their households sanitary. We will assist with handwashing and surface disinfecting. Staff will wash or sanitize their own hands between interactions with each participant.
- Limit exposure to public spaces for individuals we support living independently by offering to handle errands for participants instead of taking them along. This is outside our normal practice, however, we feel this decision is in the best interest of many of our more vulnerable individuals.
- All CSL staff are equipped with sanitizing products and personal protective equipment in order to keep themselves and vehicles as clean as possible should transportation of participants be necessary
- If a staff member or participant is diagnosed with COVID-19, we will follow the direction of the local health department and their physician.
Aptiv will continue to review the situation and this plan on a daily basis and adapt our plans as needed. If you have a support need, please contact your Aptiv Outcome Specialist, email email@example.com or call 608-785-3536.
March 20th, 2020
Starting Monday, March 23rd, 2020, Black River Falls Day Services will be on temporary hold due to a reduction in service needs. This reduction is due to participants and families choosing to self isolate due to the COVID-19 pandemic. If you are an Aptiv participant, your Outcomes Specialist will be contacting you weekly about your unique support needs.
We will resume Day Services as participant needs arise and staffing allows. Please contact your Outcomes Specialist for more information.
March 16th, 2020
As we review updates regarding COVID-19, we have made the decision to restrict visitors to all of our facilities starting today. This includes interns and volunteers. Signs will be posted on doors to direct individuals to which door to deliver.
A current exception at this time is for Rep Payee participants.
These measures are being put in place today through April 3 when we will reassess. Our goal is to maintain and protect the health of our participants and staff and prevent the spread of illness at this time.
Aptiv continues to monitor updates and guidelines from our local, state and national health officials. We will provide updates as they become available, including our current status and practices as it relates to COVID-19. We are committed to the health and well-being of everyone who participates in our services.
As of today, Aptiv is open to provide services to our participants.
Day Services - will remain open however outings and group sizes will be limited
Youth Services - after school group will remain open and 1:1 contacts will continue
Community Supported Living - providing services as needed by participants
Supportive Home Care - providing essential supports
Adult Family Homes - will continue to support all residents
Pre-vocational Employment - work opportunities will continue
Community Employment Services - services will continue
Behavior Services - services will continue
Rep Payee - services will continue
We have taken many necessary measures to ensure the safety and well-being of participants and staff including:
- Increased sanitary measures in all of our facilities and among our staff and participants
- Encouraging meetings via telephone or technology
- Limiting the size of our groups
- Restricting unnecessary travel between offices
- Restricting visitors to our facilities
- Urging employees and participants to take individual precautions they believe necessary to stay safe, including social distancing and/or staying home
We know that the impact of COVID-19 evolves daily. Aptiv’s management team is meeting daily to review the impact and our response. Decisions will be based on the needs of our participants and can change at any time.
We will provide updates to this information on Aptiv’s website, and Facebook page. If you are a participant in Aptiv’s services, contact your Outcome, Employment, or Behavior Specialist with any additional questions.
Proper handwashing steps: COVID-19 Defense Proper Handwashing USA Today
What do older adults and people with disabilities need to know? https://acl.gov/COVID-19
State of Wisconsin Coronavirus updates: https://www.dhs.wisconsin.gov/disease/covid-19.htm.
National Coronavirus updates and travel guidance: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html.
World Health Organization (Helping children cope with stress during the COVID-19 outbreak): https://www.who.int/docs/default-source/coronaviruse/helping-children-cope-with-stress-print.pdf?sfvrsn=f3a063ff_2
Preparation tips for work, home, and community Coronavirus (COVID-19) Let's P.R.E.P.